Friday, July 27, 2007

School's Out

For the past few days there has been a debate going on in the newspapers here regarding the amount of work that kids have to do in school these days and the lack of a proper childhood for them. So I thought I should weigh in my two cents worth on this topic, seeing that it is something I have pretty strong views on!


It is true that the school system here in Singapore is akin to being in a pressure cooker - both for parents as well as children. With an aim to provide a first-class education to its children, the government, no doubt started out with noble intentions, but somewhere along the line, perhaps the distinction between a world class education and too much education got blurred! At almost four years of age, in addition to their Nursery class, the Pilot and the Princess also go to Ballet (the Princess) and Piano (both) classes. Come January, I am planning to get them started with Hindi classes (both) every Saturday morning for three hours as they will be taking Hindi as their Mother Tongue language in Primary school, plus Kumon for Maths for both and Speech and Drama classes. If there is time, I also want to enrol them in Art classes.


I know this is too much for a four year old to do, but like all Kiasu (which means the fear of losing out and is a Singlish slang. For more click here)Singapore parents, I am scared that if I don't do atleast this much, they will be much behind their peers!

In my heart I know that they will never experience the kind of childhood I had, where school studies started seriously only from grade 3 and holidays were meant to be enjoyed to the fullest either staying at home or travelling. My kids will never experience that as most schools here have some sort of holiday programme on - both in June and December (when the school semester ends) and holiday homework!


That's quite sad, especially when we as parents - who should be encouraging them to let their imagination take flight, make them rein it in so that we (and they) can conform to what society expects us to do!
Aww well, this is a never-ending thing and I guess and the kids keep growing there will be more rants by me on this topic! So have a great weekend everybody!

No comments: