Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Book Review

Sometimes I wonder how some of the bloggers are able to take care of their children, work full time and at the same time blog on a daily basis! I guess they are much better managers of their time than me :-(

These days I am absolutely fascinated by some of the food blogs that are there. I keep going to one after the other and bookmarking them for a look through later. Some of them are absolutely amazing - with detailed receipes and pictures and some of them are well, not so good. Since I fancy myself a darn good cook, I am all the time tempted to post my receipes and pictures of the dishes on the blog, but don't do so - because duh, I don't manage my time well! I take pictures of the dishes, but don't upload them everyday. I am thinking one of the things I plan to work on in 2008 will be this - plan menus for the week (a month if possible) and then try to put in atleast one dish a week (complete with photographs and instructions).

I just finished reading Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra and at nearly 1000 pages, it is a very hefty and satisfying read. The language, violence and sex in the book seem too much at times, but then what else could you expect from a book where the protagnists are 'Ganesh Gaitonde', a big bhai or underworld don and 'Sartaj Singh' a dashing inspector in Mumbai Police. While reading the book, I felt some of the characters were very recognizable in real life.
The book also reminded me a lot of Suketu Mehta's Maximum City which is another book I loved a lot. This book is highly recommended by Mumbaikars (especially those like me who are away from the city and miss it a lot) and to those who want to learn about the real and unadultrated city.

No comments: