Thursday, March 22, 2007

Girls and Boys

Being the mom to a girl/boy pair of twins has certainly given me loads of food for thought. It's quite fascinating to see how girls and boys behave under certain situations - given that the external environment is the same for them both. This brings to my mind the "Nature versus Nurture" theory that I learned in Psychology class way back in college. The gist of that theory is that "What determines a human being's behaviour patterns? Is it his internal genetic make-up or is it the external factors which make a person what he/she is and how they behave?"

With the Pilot and Princess, I have always tried to be fair - I never made any distinctions between the two, especially in terms of gender specific toys and games. But surprisingly the age-old gender distinctions are very clear in our home. The Princess loves playing with her dolls and Barbie collections and the Pilot is vehicle mad. But there are some blurred spaces - the Princess likes to play with blocks and the Pilot with their little laptop (guess that is because it is a Ferrari model and all the games are car based).

But it is in temperaments that I am most surprised about. Contrary to perception that girls are made of 'sugar and spice and all that is nice', the Princess is the more assertive and dominating twin. The Pilot on the other hand easily gives in to his sister, but he is learning to be more assertive now. The Princess can shriek, rant and throw tantrums with the best of them and she is not afraid of anyone and anything. If we try to punish her, she probably will come back to me and I am really dreading her teens! The Pilot is more sensitive and a look from me is enough to make him back down. If anyone has any ideas on how to handle them, I'll be really grateful.

Back to cricket. India beat Bermuda by a huge margin and make World Cup history. Yesterday Sri Lanka beat Bangladesh and lead the table now. If India beat Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in turn will beat Bermuda then both India and Bangladesh will be equal in terms of points. So to get to the next level, which is the Super Eight, the run rate will be deciding factor. As of now, because of India's huge total against Bermuda, the run rate is in their favor, so now everything hinges on the last two matches of the group. Here in Singapore, there is not much being made about the ICC World Cup, soccer being the game of choice and the English Premier League the most watched games in the sports channels.

Recently there are many adverts about the Zee Cine Awards and since this year they are going to be held in Genting, Malaysia, I was quite tempted to go for it. Then I saw the ticket rates and decided that if I have to buy the cheapest ticket and see it on a screen in the auditorium, I might as well wait for Zee to show it on cable and I will see it then....

No comments: