Friday, July 13, 2007

Singapore National Service


Aagh, it's been a week now since I posted. It's not that there is nothing to write about, but it's just that I've been so tired and sleepy these days that I am just not able to garner the enthusiasm to actually sit down and write about things.

This year marks the fortieth anniversary of the National Service in Singapore. All male citizens aged 18 have to mandatorily do their National Service (NS) to fulfil their citizenship obligations to the country. The papers were full of the history of the NS and the Sunday paper even had a special supplement with articles and musings about the NS.

The NS is one big equaliser where people coming from different strata of society, from different races as well as different educational backgrounds will have to learn to live and work together with the common purpose of defending the country, should the need so arise! Now since the pilot was born I was prepared mentally for this, but I had thought this was the perfect time to let him know what he is supposed to do once he reaches the magic age. This is supposed to be a rite of passage or as someone put it, "they enter as boys and come out as men". Theoritically I am not opposed to it, and in fact even welcome something like this, but what I am opposed to is the disruption it causes to their studies is what makes me have any reservations.

Ah well, there is no point in grumbling about it since the Pilot has to just do it and there is no way out of it. I just hope he gets what he is passionate about (the airforce perhaps?) and then the two years will just fly past him.

No comments: