Thursday, July 26, 2007

The World around me

So Harry Potter lives....J.K. Rowling has been compared to Shakespeare for making the generation of today's kids go back to reading even with the advent of technology. I have read that many people went straight to the last page when they got hold of their copy of the book to see if Harry lives or not, and here I must admit that on Sunday I went online just to know his fate too!

The past few days the news has all been the huge floods in the United Kingdom and the equally bad heatwaves in the rest of Europe! It seems really weird to me that the same continent is experiencing such vagaries of nature. Of course, you can argue saying that the UK is not really in continental Europe, but that's really not the point! The point here is that we are not acting as responsible citizens of the world. All of us contribute to Global warning and I feel that all these unusual activity is Mother Nature's way of telling us to pull up our socks and start doing something! I have also decided to do my small part for this. I am going to do with the three Rs - Reduce, Recycle and Reuse! I plan to reduce taking plastic bags from shops, recycle things that can be recycled and what can't be used by us will be donated so that someone else can make use of it.


India has her first woman president! Ms. Prathibha Patil was sworn in as President of the largest republic of the world this week! For a country which is always mentioned in the feminine tense and who was one of the first countries to democratically elect a woman Prime Minister, this is a long overdue event! Ms. Patil will be filling in some really big shoes of Dr. Kalam, the erstwhile and well-loved President so my sincere hope is that she continues his good work and helps the country grow and prosper!
Here is a picture of the Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST, formerly Victoria Terminus or VT Station to us Mumbaikars) at night all lit up for you to enjoy!

No comments: