Thursday, July 19, 2007

To Sleep.....Or not to Sleep?


For the past six months, I have been telling the kids that they are big now and have to start sleeping on their own once my helper goes back. So from this you can deduce that we have been co-sleeping with the twins since the day they were born. I am so ambivalent about the whole process - on one hand I am so ready to reclaim my bed and privacy, but on the other hand, I am going to miss having two warm and sturdy bodies besides me at night to cuddle and play with. Anyway I guess a mom has to do what she needs to do! So off they go in December once my parents are back in India and my helper has also gone. I just hope in the meantime, I get the house in order!


Tomorrow at the Princess and Pilot's school they have a 'Racial Harmony Day' party. 21 July is celebrated as 'Racial Harmony Day' in Singapore to commemorate the worst racial riots which took place in Singapore in July 22, 1964. Since then this day has been celebrated to renew the fact that Singapore is a multiracial and multicultural society where people of different races and religions live together in harmony. Here is link to the article in Wikipedia which talk about this day for those of you who want to know more.


So for the party in the kids school, they have to wear an ethnic outfit and bring some food to be shared with their friends. I am going to send them some Potato Bread Bullets which I picked up from Sify food (formerly known as Bawarchi) and modified a bit. The receipe seems easy enough and here goes:


Potato Bread Bullets

Mix together 4 boiled and mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup boiled peas, 4 green chilles (finely chopped or minced), 1/4 cup finely crushed cornflakes, 1 tsp ginger paste, 2 tbsps finely chopped coriander, 1 tsp finely chopped mint leaves (I may omit this as I don't have any at home), 1/4 tsp amchoor powder. Take 10 sandwich bread slices and cut off the crust. Next wet a slice of bread in milk and pat off excess moisture. Place a tsp of the stuffing in the centre in an oblong shape and fold over the remaining slice and roll between the palms gently. Make sure that there are no openings whereby the stuffing comes out. Make a batch and heat oil till smoky, deep fry till golden brown and serve with chutney or sauce


I'll try and click a picture of this tomorrow morning and also let you know how it came out.

No comments: