Thursday, February 15, 2007

Family versus Career

What to write about? Now that I finally got the guts to tell people about my blog (mostly family), I have started feeling the pressure to write and to write well. Is this what writers call 'Writer's Block'?

My domestic helper who has been with us for the last four years has indicated that she would not like her contract to be renewed as she would like to go back to India and get married later this year. Now comes my big problem and dilemma - should I look for another helper or should I like the thousands of working women here in Singapore manage alone (with the help of family and the day care)? My current helper came highly recommended as her mom was also working in my grandma's house and so she was highly reliable. When I first started looking for someone to look after my babies, I wanted someone totally reliable and this girl fit the bill totally. Plus she is young and so has no major hang-ups. She looks after the kids wonderfully and we all will really miss her when she goes back to start her own life. With new rules in place I am quite hesitant to go to an agency for a new helper. I don't know how reliable she will be and if she will treat my kids well when I or DH are not around. So I guess I will be bringing up my babies alone with help from my MIL and mom. We need to talk and get the basics in place before September (when the contract ends). So many things to do.

Along with this dilemma comes the issue of my career. My biggest question is should I stay where I currently work or should I move. Both answers have their own pros and cons and the end result is that I am thoroughly confused. Where I work now, the pay is pathetic; but I can come in late if there is an emergency and noone will question me. Ditto for leaving early at times. Also the work load is not too heavy (except for some 2 months in the year) so I can leave at 5:30 pm every single day and noone will comment on my lack of commitment. On the other hand, if I move I lose all these advantages, probably the salary will make up for this and I may even have a career path all charted out unlike here, but at what cost? I really need to sort out all these things in my head very soon and take a decision on my career fast.

Another thing I need to do pronto is to lose weight fast. I have come to this conclusion that if and when I go to interview for a position, the interviewer does not see my competence and intelligence as well as my ability to do the advertised position well, but my appearence first! And living in Singapore where the average Chinese woman looks svelte and slim, this is defiitely something I need to work on. I have started exercising regularly and watching my diet, so I am on the path to good health. As of today I have lost some 6 kgs so hopefully things will only get better.

4 comments:

By Deepa and Supriya said...

Hello MAA,
Came here through itchingtowrite' s blog. Hope your situation with the help resolves itself. The career thing is always a tough one......ofcourse voicing out your concerns aloud always bring clarity.
Vow!! 6kgs is not bad at all..I have been struggling with this weight issue too but somehow lack the motivation to do anything :)

Unknown said...

hey there sis u write real good ....i love reading ur stff he m getting hooked to it so write lots ok.....love u

mommyof2 said...

I think stick with this job until you get new nanny or your kids are a bit older, maybe another year..

And do share ur diet tips;-) I even started a diet bblog thining keeping update with motivate me but it has turned into a food blodg recently;-)

MAA said...

Thanks orchid and mommyof2 for your comments. Yes, writing about it did make it a bit clear to me. I am going to talk to my MIL also about it. Also I do plan to stick on with this job for a while till things are more clear to me. I will definitely share some diet tips in my future posts.

Kav, thanks for commenting. I have this great feeling when you said I write well!